Expended Gray Matter Area

A place to discuss anything that might come to mind about dogs, agility, restaurants, international business, travel, or frankly a day or two of stream of consciousness. Who wants to live in a box anyway?

Saturday, August 25, 2007

When should a driver honk at another driver?

I've had drivers:

1) honk at me when I'm at a red light when I would be turning right.

Usually, there is a small break in the traffic that they think I should have pressed my car into. What I want to say to them is - I'm the driver of my vehicle and am thus responsible for the safety of those in my car and those around me. I know how my vehicle will react (slowly or quickly) when I press the gas pedal). Additionally, I have a different vantage point from where they are and SO I ultimately get to make the decision on when to move forward.

2) honk at me when I was waiting for change from a fast food drive-thru,

No point to this honking at all. I will still want my change back before I leave.

3) honk at me when I'm at a red light when I would be turning left.

Uh. Duh. The light is red. It would be ILLEGAL to turn. If you are in that big a hurry, go around me to take the turn. You get the ticket, not me.

4) honk at me when I was at a red light and the light JUST turned green and I was already moving forward.

If you are in that big a hurry, you should have left 5 minutes earlier. I'm already moving, so get a grip.

Honking should only be used when there is a danger that you want to make another driver aware of (ie they are backing out and will hit you unless you honk to let them know they are coming close to kissing your bumper). Unfortunately it has started to be used as a method of screaming at another driver... and frankly it is another version of road rage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home