Expended Gray Matter Area

A place to discuss anything that might come to mind about dogs, agility, restaurants, international business, travel, or frankly a day or two of stream of consciousness. Who wants to live in a box anyway?

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Back from Vacation

After two weeks abroad, I am very happy to be home. I love traveling, but everybody needs a homebase. We moved far too often from house to house to hotel to apartment... even country to country. I liked Scotland a lot more than England. Not to say I didn't like England, but I found the majority of the people there to be rude. The people in Scotland were far friendlier. I'd live there. However, while I know we had wonderful weather while we were there, I know it isn't the norm. And... would I be able to deal with liquid sunshine? I'm living in a state that has 300 days of sunshine a year. Do I want to leave that? Perhaps for awhile but I would always want to return home again.

Hmm.. Perhaps that's why the people in London are the way they are. They have permanent SAD. Perhaps the UK Government should buy everyone a natural light lamp for their homes and offices. And accounting for the Scottish friendliness when dealing with the same realities of environment? The architecture there is goregous and would put a smile on anyone's face. Yes - I know England has it's own beautiful architecture, but the hustle and bustle of the city and the greater number of people make it virtually impossible to actually enjoy it.

I would love to go back to Scotland and do research on the clans and their histories, including their tartans, mottos, and heraldry. It's really interestng.

As for the books I chose to read while away? I took the new Harry Potter - and didn't touch it (shame on me since I carted that heavy thing all over the place). I did read two books: The Mercy of Thin Air (set in 1920's New Orleans) and Pemberley, a Pride and Prejudice continuation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home